14
Feb

Gemfields’ Valentine’s Day Opinion Poll

GEMFIELDS’ VALENTINE’S DAY OPINION POLL

14th February 2024

Gemfields commissioned a light-hearted opinion poll survey to ascertain the sentiment towards coloured gemstones as gifts this Valentine’s Day. UK consumer insight provider Find Out Now* surveyed 56,644 respondents in the period from 8 February to 10 February 2024, with 524 of those surveyed confirmed to be potential buyers of gemstone jewellery this Valentine’s Day

Out of those consumers contemplating buying jewellery containing gemstones this Valentine’s Day, nearly half (255 of the 524 – 48.6%) were considering at least one of the ‘Big Three’: emerald, ruby or sapphire. With the remaining 51.4% selecting from diamond, amethyst, pearl or ‘other’.  The consideration of which gemstone to purchase was said to be predominantly down to the gem being theirs or their partner’s favourite, followed by it being theirs or their partner’s birthstone, then a representation of their anniversary year.

The responses collected during 2024 represent the first instalment of data, with the company looking to continue to track consumer sentiment towards coloured gemstones.

About Gemfields:

Gemfields is a world-leading responsible miner and marketer of coloured gemstones. The operator

and 75% owner of both the Kagem emerald mine in Zambia (believed to be the world’s single largest producing emerald mine) and the Montepuez ruby mine in Mozambique (one of the most significant recently discovered ruby deposits in the world), Gemfields believes that those who mine gemstones should do so with transparency, legitimacy and integrity.

Gemfields introduced a technologically advanced coloured gemstone sort house at its operation in Mozambique, with state-of-the-art equipment, like optical sorting machines. In addition, a proprietary grading system, a pioneering auction platform and an active marketing presence have all contributed to Gemfields playing a significant role in the rise of African gemstones. Underlying this achievement has been the strong belief that coloured gemstones should create a positive impact for the country and community from which they originate.

Responsible mining for Gemfields means implementing industry-leading policies and practices across operations, transparency in its auction sales process, an active role in working groups to modernise the sector, projects to improve health, education and livelihoods for the communities around its mines and conservation efforts (#conservationgemstones) to protect Africa’s great wildlife and biodiversity.

Gemfields Foundation is the charitable arm of Gemfields, through which donors can contribute funding to directly support community and conservation projects in Africa, magnifying the scale of the work already carried out by Gemfields itself.

Fabergé – an iconic name with an exceptional heritage – is a member of the Gemfields Group.  The beauty of Fabergé’s designs and craftsmanship helps to raise consumer awareness of responsibly mined coloured gemstones.

As well as supplying a significant share of the world’s rough rubies and emeralds, Gemfields initiates activations to build desire for coloured gemstones: for example, collaborations with international jewellery brands and other creative partners. Often surprising, unexpected and unique, these collaborations are chosen to promote consumer awareness and increase the appeal of coloured gemstones, raising their profile, and, in turn, providing greater benefit to their place of origin in Africa.